Big Brother has been around for nearly 20 seasons in the US. But across the pond, England has perfected the celebrity edition of the hit reality show. As a fan from the beginning, I have always been intrigued by the idea of bringing Celebrity Big Brother to the states. So, when Julie Chen announced that we’d be getting our very own version here, I was stoked! And this season has not disappointed at all – especially because the house is filled with a bunch of super fans!
Let’s take a look at the newly renovated Celebrity Big Brother House which has never looked so glamorous!
What does the Celebrity Big Brother House look like?
Although the general layout of the Big Brother house is the same every year, the décor varies at the beginning of each season. But now, for the first edition of Celebrity Big Brother 2018, the theme was, you guessed it, Hollywood! In fact, the living room, kitchen and dining room all share a common view of the Los Angeles skyline. The gorgeous 2,768-square-foot mural is printed directly onto mirrored plexiglass to create the sparkle of a night sky.Array
In the center of the kitchen is a cool island with pub seating and a couch. The wooden cabinets have gold fixtures, making for a classy look. And beautiful gold and white sculptures line the top of the cabinets. And as a change from past seasons, the main dining table, which is also used for the Nomination Ceremony, is square, not round.Array Array Array Array Array
The Living Room
The living room holds two curved navy-blue couches and two maroon-colored chairs that also serve as the nomination chairs. There’s plenty of room for relaxing! Except during live evictions because this is where those are held, too.Array Array
Passing the diary room door, you enter the first bedroom. There are literally velvet ropes and red carpet laid across the full length of the room. There are also three double beds. This room leads to two additional bedrooms. The second room, with four beds, is a lavish room decked out in Tiffany blue and white. The third room is LA Landmark-themed with four beds, each representing Rodeo Drive, LAX, and City Hall. This is the first season where the contestants didn’t have to share beds. Although I have to admit, I kind of missed the have-not room.Array Array Array
On the other side of the house, they’ve replaced the lounge with a speakeasy room! The walls are covered with pictures of classic Hollywood. Plus, the celebs can play chess or Chinese checkers. And if they get thirsty, there’s also a bar!Array
The bathroom has a luxurious Japanese design, complete with bamboo, a stone floor, black river rock, and a large sofa. And as if these celebrities weren’t pampered enough, they even get a privacy wall in between shower stalls.Array
Celebrity Big Brother has moved the pool table, which is typically outside, upstairs next to the Head of Household (HoH) room. Inside that room, the lucky HoH gets to enjoy a poolside cabana-themed room, complete with their very own bathroom and bed that is actually two queen-sized beds put together. The gym has also been moved upstairs and is located right next to the HoH room.Array Array Array Array
Last but not least, the outdoor space has been significantly cut to about a quarter of the size. But that doesn’t mean it’s not inviting. In addition to the washer a dryer, there’s a cozy lounging area with a fire pit, and also a Jacuzzi.Array Array
Beyond the wall that cuts the patio short is reserved for HoH and power of veto competitions. Because of the tight shooting schedule, they must have wanted to keep that section off limits from houseguests so that they could build and take down sets for the competitions.
So it goes without saying, the celebrity version of the Big Brother house is SO MUCH MORE fancy that the one lived in by us everyday folks.
Here’s the full house tour, given by Julie!
What car is on the wall of the Celebrity Big Brother House?
Oh yes, there is! It’s a classic 1955 Porsche Spyder hanging on the wall of the bedroom hallway. But if you think Big Brother rescued it from a junkyard, think again! The care was custom-built for the show.Array
Since the engine and mechanical gear has been removed, don’t be worried that any of the contestants can drive it off the lot. After filming is over, the car will be returned to its builder and turned into an actual car.
Where is Celebrity Big Brother House?
The Celebrity Big Brother house is located at CBS Studio Center, known to locals as CBS Radford, in Studio City, California. It’s about 12 miles north-west of downtown Los Angeles.
Suprise, surprise for those of you who thought they were in a cute suburbia home. They aren’t. The house is an elaborate set inside studio 18.
Who is in Celebrity Big Brother House?
For the first season of Celebrity Big Brother, 11 contestants moved in to play the game. Why 11? It’s rumored that the cast of 10 was set but when Omarosa left the White House (or was fired, who knows), CBS courted her and decided to add an 11th houseguest. I mean, that’s the power of someone like Omarosa!
List of Celebrity Big Brother 2018 houseguests:
- Aridana Gutierrez: Born in Columbia, the 24-year-old is best known for being crowned Miss Universe in 2015 by Steve Harvey, only to be told moments later that he announced the wrong name and she actually was first runner-up. Today, she lives in Miami, Florida is an actress and model.
- Brandi Glanville: Brandi is best known for her time on the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, but the 45-year-old left the show after the fifth season. The former model hosts a weekly podcast called Brandi Glanville Unfiltered. She was also famously cheated on by her ex-husband Eddie Cibrian, who had a very public affair with LeAnn Rimes.
- Chuck Liddell: The retired UFC fighter hails from Calabasas, California. The 48-year-old is a former UFC Champion, winning 21 mixed martial arts matches and 20 kickboxing matches. He was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in 2009.
- James Maslow: James is a 27-year-old actor and musician best known for being a member of the band Big Time Rush, and also starred in the TV show of the same name.
- Keisha Knight Pulliam: Keisha is an actress and entrepreneur, but you probably know the 38-year-old as a child actor when she played Rudy on The Cosby Show for eight seasons. She has also appeared in dozens of movies, and TV shows, like Beauty Shop and Madea Goes to Jail.
- Marissa Jaret Winoku: After winning a Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical in 2003 for her performance as Tracy Turnblad in Hairspray, Marissa went on to appear as an actress in movies like Fever Pitch and Scary Movie. She has also guest-hosted shows like The Talk and Dance Your Ass Off. She is also a cancer survivor, having beat cervical cancer while performing on Broadway.
- Mark McGrath: Mark is famous for being the lead singer of Sugar Ray, with 90s hits like, “Fly” and “Every Morning.” Even though Sugar Ray is still making music, he has also spent time hosting Don’t Forget the Lyrics and appearing on The Office and Workaholics.
- Metta World Peace: You may know the 38-year-old former NBA player as Ron Artest. He won a championship with the LA Lakers in 2010. He’s now a developmental coach for the South Bay Lakers of the NBA G League.
- Omarosa: Known for being a reality TV villain, Omarosa first gained fame on the first season of The Apprentice. She holds a Masters Degree in communications with additional Doctoral Studies in the same field. Long before her television appearances, Omarosa worked in the office of Vice President Al Gore in the 90s, and then most famously, for President Donald Trump’s administration as his Director of Communications for the Office of Public Liaison. She resigned in December 2017.
- Ross Mathews: Ross is a TV personality best known appearing on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno as “Ross the Intern.” The 38-year-old spent many awards seasons interviewing celebrities on the red carpet and currently hosts the podcast Straight Talk with Ross Mathews.
- Shannon Elizabeth: The 44-year-old actress is most famously known for her appearance in American Pie as the foreign exchange student Nadia. Today she runs Animal Avengers, a non-profit that rescues and finds a home for homeless pets, reducing pet overpopulation, promoting responsible pet guardianship and preventing animal cruelty.
How much do Celebrity Big Brother contestants get paid?
According to reports, each celebrity on Celebrity Big Brother earns a base salary of $200,000. The longer they stay on the show, the more they get paid. The winner of the show will win the grand prize: $250,000. The grand prize is in addition to the fee they are paid to appear on the show.
Although we haven’t independently confirmed the reports, it’s been rumored that in order to score Omarosa, CBS agreed to pay her over $1 million and the promise to develop a talk show. Now, “develop” is different than “giving” and we can only imagine this means they will consider it a talk show with her. It’s definitely not a done deal.
How long does Celebrity Big Brother last?
The Celebrity edition of Big Brother premiered on Wednesday, February 7, 2018. The show aired over the course three weeks and 13 episodes. Shows typically aired four times a week in direct competition with the PyeongChang Winter Olympics.
It’s impossible to get celebrities to agree to 3 months in the house like the regular contestants do, so Celebrity Big Brother is a jam-packed version lasting 3.5 weeks in the house.
The finale of Celebrity Big Brother was Sunday, February 25, 2018.
Who won Celebrity Big Brother 2018?
In a massive shock to viewers, Marissa won the final HoH competition, beating out Ross, Mark, and Ariadna. With the power to evict 2 houseguests, she chose to evict Mark and Ari. Not surprising given her close relationship with Ross – she said many times in the live streams that he was her ride-or-die.
With all houseguests reconvened to make up the jury, Marissa won the first installment of Celebrity Big Brother by a vote of 6 to 3 and went home with $250,000!
Here’s how the votes panned out:
- Mark: Ross
- Ariadna: Marissa
- Omarosa: Marissa
- James: Marissa
- Brandi: Ross
- Metta: Ross
- Shannon: Marissa
- Keshia: Marissa
- Chuck: Marissa
Ross didn’t go home empty-handed though. He was voted “America’s Favorite Houseguest” by viewers, which meant he went home with $25,000!
When is the next Big Brother season?
The 20th season of the reality hit, Big Brother, will premier in the summer of 2018. Although no date is confirmed, Big Brother typically premiers in late June – early July and ends sometime in September. Because it’s celebrating its 20th season, fans are hopeful to see some sort of all-star scenario, with fan-favorite contestants.
CBS is now casting. Visit CBS.com/casting for more info!
When is the next Celebrity Big Brother?
The second season of Celebrity Big Brother has yet to be confirmed by anyone at CBS. But Julie Chen, the host of Big Brother and wife of CBS boss Les Moonves, told Entertainment Weekly not to rule it out. She said, “It’s definitely possible. With these ratings, it did what we hoped as opposed to running repeats of the current slate of shows [while NBC aired the Olympics]. It all depends how well all the shows on the air are doing. But don’t forget, B.B. takes up a lot of real estate on the prime-time schedule. We are used to having at least three nights to air in a week. CBS is known for having a strong schedule of shows year-round, so it’s hard to say right now what will happen next winter.”
We know one Big Brother alum that wouldn’t be opposed to another CBBUS. Season 8 winner, Evel Dick, tweeted, “It’s so nice to have a great season of BB again.”